A General Guide for Constructing a Retaining Wall
- Call Digger’s Hotline be sure you know what’s under the surface first.
- Mark out the area with marking paint.
- Excavate area to proper depth (height of first course + 6″ base).
- Place base material (3/4″ traffic bond) and compact in lifts 2″ or less to ensure proper compaction.
- Take your time and grade base to proper level, and compact.
*This is the most important part of the installation.
- Level first block (should be at the lowest point in the wall if base height changes) front to back, and side to side, checking that the height is correct.
- Repeat step 5. until base is installed.
- Install wash stone behind block and compact.
- Stack next course and repeat step 7. Repeat until desired height is achieved.
- Place caps on wall and cut to fit. They can be adhered using a masonry adhesive to hold them in place.
What You Need to Get Started
For Paver Walkways and/or Patios
Helpful Tools to Rent
Equipment Rentals in West Bend is a good source