A General Guide to the Patio Building Process
- Call Digger’s Hotline be sure you know what’s under the surface first.
- Mark out the area with marking paint.
- Excavate area to proper depth (height of paver + 1″ sand + 6″ base material).
- Place base material (3/4″ traffic bond) on top of geo-textile fabric and compact in lifts 2″ or less to ensure proper compaction.
- Take your time and grade base to proper level, and compact.
*This is the most important part of the installation.
- Put edging in place and nail down to define the perimeter (1 spike per foot).
- Screed out 1″ thick bedding (torpedo) sand using a 1″ diameter pipe.
- Lay pavers field and mark for cutting.
- Compact pavers using a small compactor to set the pavers into the bedding sand. Start on the outside edge and work to the middle of the field.
- Apply joint sand by sweeping it into the joints. Compact the pavers again. Repeat until joints are full.
- Sweep surface clean, take extra care when using polymeric sand as it will stick to the surface.
- Wet sand down, per directions on the bags, if using polymeric sand.
What You Need to Get Started
For Paver Walkways and/or Patios
Helpful Tools to Rent
Equipment Rentals in West Bend is a good source